On Tuesday, the CBOE Futures Exchange, LLC reported that?June 2014?average daily volume (ADV) in futures on the CBOE Volatility Index??(VIX??Index) and total exchange-wide ADV at CFE increased 21 percent from?May 2014?and decreased 17 percent from a year ago.? ?
Year to date, CFE ADV?and VIX futures ADV increased 10 percent from the first six months of 2013. ? ? ??
- ADV in VIX futures was 173,893 contracts during June, a 17-percent decrease from?June 2013?and a 21-percent increase from May 2014.
- June total trading volume in VIX futures was 3.65 million contracts, a 13-percent decrease from?June 2013?and a 21-percent increase from?May 2014.
- Exchange-wide ADV during June was 174,145 contracts, a 17-percent decrease from a year ago and a 21-percent increase from May 2014.?
- Exchange-wide total volume during the month was 3.66 million contracts, a 13-percent decrease from?June 2013?and a 21-percent increase from May 2014.?
VIX Futures 24-Hour Trading Launched in June
- On?June 22, CFE expanded VIX futures trading hours to nearly 24 hours a day, five days a week.?
- The trading week for VIX futures at CFE now begins each Sunday at5:00 p.m. CT?and ends each Friday at?3:15 p.m. CT.
- Monday through Thursday, CFE closes for 15 minutes at?3:15 p.m. CT?before the “new” trading day begins at?3:30 p.m. CT.? After Friday’s?3:15 p.m. CT?close, CFE remains closed until the start of the new trading week at?5:00 p.m. CT on Sunday.
- Year-to-date, volume in VIX futures during all non-U.S. trading hours is averaging more than 14,000 contracts per day, accounting for 7.7 percent of CFE’s total daily volume.?