CBOE Holdings, Inc.?(NASDAQ:?CBOE) has reported that March trading volume for options contracts on?Chicago Board Options Exchange??(CBOE?) and C2 Options ExchangeSM?(C2SM) and futures contracts on CBOE Futures ExchangeSM?(CFE?)? totaled 107.86 million contracts. Average daily volume (ADV) was 5.14 million contracts, a 14-percent increase from?March 2013?and a 14-percent decrease from?February 2014.
Here’s a March breakdown.?
- March ADV was 4.71 million contracts, a 16-percent increase from?March 2013?and a 13-percent decrease from?February 2014.
- Equity options ADV was 1.95 million contracts, a 33-percent increase from?March 2013?and an eight-percent decrease from?February 2014.
- Index options ADV was 1.56 million contracts, a one-percent increase from?March 2013?and a 19-percent decrease from?February 2014.
- Exchange traded product (ETP) options ADV was nearly 1.20 million contracts, an 18-percent increase from?March 2013?and a 13-percent decrease from?February 2014.
- The five most actively traded index and ETP options at?CBOE?in March were S&P 500? Index (SPX) options, CBOE Volatility Index? (VIX), Standard & Poor’s Depositary Receipt (SPY) options, iShares Trust – Russell 2000??Index Fund?(IWM) options and?PowerShares QQQ Trust?(QQQ) options.
CBOE Market Share
- Market share of total U.S. options industry volume was 27.8 percent in?March 2014, an increase of 1.9 percentage points from?March 2013?and a decrease of 2.1 percentage points from?February 2014.
C2 Trading Volume
- March trading volume totaled 5.18 million contracts.
- ADV was 246,700 contracts, a 15-percent decrease from?March 2013?and a 25-percent decrease from February 2014.
C2 Market Share
- Market share of total industry volume in?March 2014?was 1.5 percent, a 0.4-percentage-point decrease from?March 2013?and a 0.3-percentage-point decrease from?February 2014.
CFE Trading Volume and Highlights
- VIX futures ADV in March was 183,612 contracts, an increase of 14 percent from?March 2013?ADV and a decrease of 15 percent from the?February 2014?all-time monthly ADV record.
- In March, CFE announced plans to extend VIX futures trading hours to nearly 24 hours a day, five days a week, beginning?Sunday, June 22, pending regulatory review.?