CBOE Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: CBOE) reported today that total trading volume in August for options contracts on Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE)
and C2 Options Exchange (C2) and futures contracts on CBOE Futures Exchange (CFE) was 125.2 million contracts, an increase of 18 percent from July 2015 and an increase of 26 percent from August 2014.
Numerous trading records were set at CBOE Holdings in August including new
single day volume highs for CBOE, C2, total index options and S&P 500 Index (SPX) options, and new monthly average daily volume (ADV) records in CBOE Volatility Index (VIX Index) options and S&P 500 Index (SPX) options.
Total options and futures ADV at CBOE Holdings for August was 6.0 million contracts, an increase of 23 percent from July 2015 and an increase of 26 percent from August 2014.
CBOE Trading Volume
- CBOE’s ADV for the month was 5.3 million contracts, up 24 percent from July 2015 and 26 percent from August 2014. Exchangewide trading volume totaled 111.1 million contracts, an increase of 18 percent from the previous month and an increase of 26 percent from a year ago.
- August ADV in index options increased 41 percent, exchange-traded product (ETP) options increased 23 percent, and equity options increased 4 percent from July 2015.
CBOE Volume: August Records
- On August 21, CBOE experienced the busiest single day in its history with 11,167,957 contracts traded, which surpassed the previous record of 10,917,541 contracts on August 8, 2011.
- Total index options volume reached a new single-day high of 4,992,516 contracts traded on August 21, topping the previous record of 4,747,400 contracts on October 15, 2014.
- S&P 500 Index (SPX) options set a daily volume record of 2,980,032 contracts on August 21, surpassing the previous record of 2,686,964 contracts on October 15, 2014. SPX options also set a new monthly ADV record of 1,325,639 contracts in August, surpassing the previous record of 1,306,801 contracts set in October 2014.
- VIX options set a new record for monthly ADV of 990,289 contracts in August, topping the previous monthly ADV record of 857,361 contracts in February 2014.
- Expanded volume information for CBOE index and ETP options is available at: www.cboe.com/data/monthlyvolume.aspx.
CBOE Market Share
- CBOE’s market share of total U.S. options industry volume was 26.1 percent in August, an increase of 1.3 percentage points from July 2015 and a decrease of 1.4 percentage points from August 2014.
C2 Trading Volume:
- C2’s August trading volume totaled 7.8 million contracts, an increase of 3 percent from July 2015 and an increase of 19 percent from August 2014. ADV was 369,808 contracts, an 8-percent increase from July 2015 and a 19-percent increase from August 2014.
- On August 21, C2 set a new single-day volume record with 758,257 contracts traded, which surpassed the previous record of 721,478 contracts on October 15, 2014.
C2 Market Share:
- C2 market share of total industry volume in August was 1.8 percent, a decrease of 0.2 percentage points from both July 2015 and August 2014.
CBOE Futures Exchange (CFE) Trading Volume and Highlights
- CBOE Futures Exchange (CFE) reported that August 2015 was its second-busiest month of all time and its third consecutive monthly gain for 2015. ADV in VIX futures rose 34 percent from July 2015 and 41 percent from August 2014.
- Total volume in VIX futures for August was 6.4 million contracts, an increase of 28 percent from the previous month and 41 percent from a year ago. The August 2015 volume total includes VIX Weeklys futures contracts, which launched on July 23. August VIX futures’ ADV was 304,964 contracts. August’s total and ADV for VIX futures ranked second in terms of all-time monthly records, trailing only the 7.4 million total and 323,761 ADV traded in October 2014.